NY Requirements - Blog
Staying out of the nurse's office is always a good plan at school. Watching your diet and being active are great ways to keep from getting sick, so you won't have to visit the school nurse as often. Your food choices play a huge role in how you feel and how well your body fights off germs. Moving your body also helps keep it strong so you'll stay healthier.
Eating well is important for your overall health. The food pyramid is a helpful tool that you can use to make good food choices. The pyramid is larger on the bottom, and this is where you'll find the foods that you should choose more often every day, such as grains, vegetables, and fruits. Next, you'll find dairy products, which contain calcium and protein. Other sources of protein are next, such as chicken, beef, and fish. Near the top, oils and fats sit in a small section because you shouldn't eat too much fat to be healthy. At the very top of the pyramid sits the dessert section; these foods need to be eaten in moderation for the best health.
- Seven Days of Banana Activities: Follow Bobby Banana through a whole week's worth of ways to learn with and eat bananas.
- Ten Fun Nutrition Games for Kids: These fruit and vegetable activities will help you learn about different foods that you might want to try in your diet.
- Classify Foods Game: See how well you can sort foods into different food groups with this game.
- Falling Food Arcade Game: Play the falling food arcade game by collecting the foods as they fall and placing them in the correct food groups.
- Snack Shack Game: The Snack Shack game involves exploring different snacks to learn about healthy ones.
- Packing a Healthy Lunchbox: Earn points as you choose healthy foods to pack in this lunch box.
- Sortify: Nutrition: Play the Sortify Nutrition game by placing each type of food into the correct food group.
- Healthy Eating Games and Activities: Try some of these healthy eating games, such as making cute people out of cut-up vegetables and making a food alphabet display.
- Nutrition-Based Physical Activity Games: These games all have a nutrition theme, such as a relay race with different types of plastic foods that you have to collect to create a healthy meal.
- Nutrition Games and Activities: Play a guessing game with one person describing a vegetable or fruit and another person trying to guess the food.
- Jimmy's Thirsty: See how much you know about staying hydrated by playing the Jimmy's Thirsty game.
- Four Fun Ways to Teach Children About Nutrition: Have fun trying to guess which food is being described in each riddle.
- The Picnic Game: Play a game that involves packing a pretend picnic basket full of healthy food choices.
- Nutrition Word-O-Rama: Test how many nutrition vocabulary words you know with this game.
You need to move your body every day to keep it strong and healthy. When you move actively, such as by running and jumping, your heart beats faster and pumps blood more forcefully throughout your body. Your heart is a muscle, so the more you make it work, the stronger it becomes. Exercising also makes the rest of your muscles stronger. Exercise every day by playing tag, climbing on the playground, jumping rope, playing basketball, running, playing hide and seek, or enjoying another favorite way to get moving.
- 30 Easy Indoor Fitness Games for Kids: Indoor fitness games might include going on a scavenger hunt or freeze-dancing.
- Fitness Games and Fun Exercise Activities for Kids: Outdoors, you can get exercise by setting up an obstacle course or playing tag.
- Five Fun Workout Games for Healthy Kids: Organizing shuttle runs with a few friends is a great way to exercise.
- 16 Mind-Blowing Exercise Games to Make Kids Active, Fit, and Healthy: If you like team sports such as baseball or basketball, get out and play to get some good exercise.
- 25 Family Bonding Fun Fitness Games for Kids: Play games with your family like red light, green light or hide and seek.
- 25 Exercise Games and Indoor Activities to Get Kids Moving: Try crab or bear walk races or wheelbarrow races for a new way to exercise.
- DIY Fitball: A Fun Fitness Activity: You'll need a big ball and some music to do this family exercise activity.
- 31 Fitness Activities for Kids That You Can Do as a Family: Take a nature hike with your family to get some good exercise.
- Fun Gym Games for Kids: Try some of these activities to get some exercise and have fun.
- Get Movin': 15 Fun Fitness Activities for Kids: Have a dance party with some upbeat music and get fit with friends or family.
- Fun Fitness Games for Kids: Have a jump-rope challenge to see who can jump rope the longest without missing.
- Ten Easy Exercises for Kids: Exercise doesn't have to be hard to be effective. Try any of these easy exercises to get started.
- Five Classic Fitness Games for Kids: Play the game of Twister with a couple of friends to improve your flexibility and strength.
- Ten Fun Exercise Ideas for Kids: If you have a dog, make it a point to walk your pet every day.
- Ten Exercise Games to Do With Kids at Home: Jumping strengthens both your heart and your other muscles. Put on some music and jump around.
- Our Favorite Fitness Games for Kids: Try different tag games, such as sharks and minnows or color tag.
Instead of focusing on exercising every day, which can sound dull and boring, make yourself a promise that you'll spend time every day doing active things that are fun. Get outside as much as you can every day to get fresh air while you play. Don't forget to play music while you play, because this can help you amp up the energy. Before you know it, you'll be stronger and more fit.